is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're gonna
-- Forrest Gump
Treat system-field work as art stemmed from life with passion.
A qualified system areas PhD student should be able to do
wonderful research and development. It also means thinking critically and
programing for fun.
System area research requires massive system
experiences. Internships and communications are good ways to go.
Biggest joke of the century: computers and mobile
were invented to save our time :-)
File systems and Storage Lab
Computer Science Department
Stony Brook University
What I believe
- I'm a fourth-year PhD student in Computer Science at the Stony Brook University.
My advisor is Prof. Erez Zadok.
- I am working towards my thesis on Tiered Storage System
from the perspectives of Performance, Energy, and Reliability.
- My research interests include Green Storage and Operating Systems,
Multi-Tier Storage Systems, Software-Defined Storage, and Software Engineering.
- I received my Bachelar's Degree in Computer Science at Huazhong University of Science and Technology(HUST)
with great honor.
- I was awarded the "Best Paper Award for Bachelor Thesis of Hubei
Province" back in 2009.
- I have attended USENIX
ATC'10, HotStorage'10, HotCloud'10, FAST'11, SOSP'11, FAST'12, OSDI'12, and FAST'13.
- During the winter break of 2009, I was working on "Exporting Kernel Page Caching for Efficient User-Level I/O".
- In the summer of 2010, I was continually working on the Green Project in the FSL.
- In the summer of 2011 and 2012, I was interning in EMC BRS and VMware, respectively.
- I am a member of USENIX from June 2010, and a member of ACM from August 2011.
- May 2012 - August 2012, Member of Technical Stuff Intern, VMware, Palo Alto, CA
- May 2011 - August 2011, Software Engineer Intern, EMC BRS, Santa Clara, CA
- Full-time Teaching Asistant for ISE/CSE-311: System
Administration by Prof. Erez Zadok, Spring 2010.
- Full-time Teaching Assistant for CSE 506:
Operating Systems class by Prof. Erez Zadok, Fall 2009.
- For issues about the classes, please contact
"GreenDM: A Versatile Hybrid Drive for Energy
and Performance" [poster]
Zhichao Li, Ming Chen, and Erez Zadok
Published in Proceedings of the Eleventh USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST '13)
"vATM: vSphere Adaptive Task Management" [paper]
Zhichao Li, Aalap Desai, Chirag Bhatt, Rigit Kambo, and Erez Zadok
Published in the 7th International Workshop on Feedback Computing 2012 (FC '12)
"Power Consumption in Enterprise-Scale
Backup Storage Systems" [paper]
Zhichao Li, Kevin M. Greenan, Andrew W. Leung, and Erez Zadok
Published in Proceedings of the Tenth USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST '12)
"Power and Performance in Compression
Systems: A Control Theoretical Approach with
Zhichao Li, Radu Grosu, Scott A. Smolka, Scott D. Stoller, and
Appears in proceedings of the 8th International Conference and Expo on
Emerging Technologies for a Smarter World (CEWIT'11)
and in proceedings of New York State's Premier Conference for
Advanced Energy (AERTC'11)
"Model Discovery for Energy-Aware Computing Systems: An Experimental Evaluation"[paper]
Zhichao Li, Radu Grosu, Koundinya Muppalla, Scott A. Smolka, Scott D. Stoller, and Erez Zadok
Published in the 1th International Workshop on Energy Consumption and Reliability of Storage
"On the Energy Consumption and Performance of Systems Software"[paper]
Zhichao Li, Radu Grosu, Priya Sehgal, Scott A. Smolka, Scott D. Stoller, and Erez Zadok
Published in the 4th Annual International Systems and Storage Conference
- Life is more important than blind working.
- Love what you are doing, and do it well.
- Think differently, behave differently, and achieve differently.
- People do not buy WHAT you do. They buy WHY you do it.
- Keep your goal to yourself to keep going.
(Last Update: 04/07/2013)