is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're gonna
get." -- Forrest Gump
A qualified system areas PhD student should be able to do
wonderful research and development -- thinking critically and
programing for fun.
System area research requires massive system
experiences. Internships and communications are good ways to go.
Biggest joke of the century: computers and mobile
were invented to save our time :-)
File systems and Storage Lab
Computer Science Department
Stony Brook University
What I believe
- I'm a fifth-year PhD student in Computer Science at the Stony Brook University.
My advisor is Prof. Erez Zadok.
- I am working towards my thesis on Versatile Hybrid Drive
from the perspectives of Performance, Energy, and Endurance.
- My research interests include Big Data Storage,
Multi-Tier Storage Systems, Green Storage and Operating
Systems, and Software Engineering.
- I received my Bachelar's Degree in Computer Science at Huazhong University of Science
and Technology(HUST) with honor.
- I was awarded the "Best Paper Award for Bachelor Thesis of Hubei
Province" back in 2009.
- I have attended USENIX
ATC'10, HotStorage'10, HotCloud'10, FAST'11, SOSP'11, FAST'12, OSDI'12, FAST'13, and SOSP'13.
- I am going to attend FAST'14.
- June 2013 - August 2013, MTS Intern, Distributed File System, VMware, Palo Alto, CA
- May 2012 - August 2012, MTS Intern, vSphere Task Scheduling, VMware, Palo Alto, CA
- May 2011 - August 2011, SDE Intern, Deduplication System, EMC BRS, Santa Clara, CA
- Full-time Teaching Asistant for ISE/CSE-311: System
Administration by Prof. Erez Zadok, Spring 2010.
- Full-time Teaching Assistant for CSE 506:
Operating Systems class by Prof. Erez Zadok, Fall 2009.
- For issues about the classes, please contact
"CPUidle from User Space" [paper]
Madhu Palmur, Zhichao Li, and Erez Zadok
Published as FSL Technical Report
"GreenDM: A Versatile Hybrid Drive for Energy
and Performance" [poster]
Zhichao Li, Ming Chen, and Erez Zadok
Published in Proceedings of the Eleventh USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST '13)
"vATM: VMware vSphere Adaptive Task Management" [paper]
Chirag Bhatt, Aalap Desai, Rigit Kambo, Zhichao Li, and Erez Zadok
Published in the VMware Technical Journal 2013 (VMTJ '13)
"vATM: vSphere Adaptive Task Management" [paper]
Zhichao Li, Aalap Desai, Chirag Bhatt, Rigit Kambo, and Erez Zadok
Published in the 7th International Workshop on Feedback Computing 2012 (Feedback '12)
"Power Consumption in Enterprise-Scale
Backup Storage Systems" [paper]
Zhichao Li, Kevin M. Greenan, Andrew W. Leung, and Erez Zadok
Published in Proceedings of the Tenth USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST '12)
"Power and Performance in Compression
Systems: A Control Theoretical Approach with
Zhichao Li, Radu Grosu, Scott A. Smolka, Scott D. Stoller, and
Published in proceedings of the 8th International Conference and Expo on
Emerging Technologies for a Smarter World (CEWIT'11)
and in proceedings of New York State's Premier Conference for
Advanced Energy (AERTC'11)
"Model Discovery for Energy-Aware Computing Systems: An Experimental Evaluation"[paper]
Zhichao Li, Radu Grosu, Koundinya Muppalla, Scott A. Smolka, Scott D. Stoller, and Erez Zadok
Published in the 1th International Workshop on Energy Consumption and Reliability of Storage
"On the Energy Consumption and Performance of Systems Software"[paper]
Zhichao Li, Radu Grosu, Priya Sehgal, Scott A. Smolka, Scott D. Stoller, and Erez Zadok
Published in the 4th Annual International Systems and Storage Conference
"An Application-Oriented File System Namespace Management Method"
Dan Feng, Zhan Shi, Chunlin Zhu, Zhichao Li, Heng
Zhao, Yong Li, and Chonglin Deng
China Patent 2008, Application number: 200810236600.2,
Classification number: G06F17/30(2006.01)I
- Life is more important than blind working.
- Love what you are doing, and do it well.
- Think differently, behave differently, and achieve differently.
- People do not buy WHAT you do. They buy WHY you do it.
- Keep your goal to yourself to keep going.
(Last Update: 01/20/2014)